Saturday, November 27, 2010

NOT ANOTHER MOMENT: THE DEAR JOHN EXPERIENCE

I have read Nicolas Sparks' Dear John earlier today. It moved me both emotionally and spiritually. And because I was so affected by its story, I completely skipped the part where John's father had suffered a heart attack and for that, he has to stay home and extend his leave to attend to his Dad's medical needs. (Not to mention, to spend his time together with his Dad) I was actually into Savannah and John's story by the way. But I want to take this part to really dwell more on what I feel about John and his Dad's situation. 

I kind of more like to feel the same way about my father when I was younger. But I wasn't a rebel. As mentioned from my previous blog post, we do not have that father and daughter serious talks.
But we do share moments where we laugh together over some silly jokes. He is not cold. He is just quiet. And he is a completely normal person. My dad went to the army. So does John. John is pretty much, a rebel. Just because his Dad's comfortable talking about coins, little John must've
pinned that he's done with it. I cannot blame John. He grew up without a Mom. No one else but his father. Who would have thought that his father's suffering from autism? No one knew about it then. Not until he met Savannah. My dad.. My dear dad.

He doesn't ask about how my day went. Just the same as, I don't have an interest telling him. But getting back, what if he does ask? Would it make a big difference? I am clearly trying to avoid the thoughts. Anyway, I already mentioned to my previous blog entry that I had a prayer. My prayer goes like this:

(I can't believe I am saying this in public)

Dear God,

I love my Dad. I love him so much that I do not want to see him suffer when he's getting older. I prefer to die younger than seeing any of my family member dies right before my eyes. I know it sound selfish but Lord, you know pretty well that from the deepest part of my heart, I am, but most telling
you the truth. So please, help me and guide me to make the most out of my time with my family, specially with my dear Dad. I can exchange my life to extend his. To extend anyone from
my family. I just hate it being like this. To swear over mushy stuffs. See Dear God, I am not as cold as a meat on a freezer. I just hate talking about emotions involving my family.

So Dear God, I know You love me. So I am asking you this. Please, please help me find a way to get through my dad too. Thank you!

A prayer so strong he listened. Probably because I was so makulit. And then, he bought his 2nd hand mountain bike. I was really into it. And whenever its chain snapped, walang alinlangan to bring it to a local bike fixer. [fixer -- what the?] It cost around atleast 200 pesos. And knowing him, he'd rather
spend it on rice grain, his utangs or anything much more valuable than fixing a chain. I can't imagine him pulling out his dear hard-earned money off his pocket. I love him.

I am looking forward to spend a weekend riding that bike with him on an early morning MOA adventure. But for now, I was more than agitated that the chain snapped again. Holy cow! I'll lose
weight not because of riding my father's bike. But to getting home walking four kilometers away. Hahaha! I'm still riding that bike again. For some reasons, I do not hate it. I do not curse it. I do not think of not riding it again. But instead, I am pushed to spend another afternoon with it. Even if it fail to get me home, not walking. I love that bike but not more than I love my father.

No comments: